Constructed in 1909 by Henry Wilson Pardue, the Hotel Windsor (also known as the Windsor Hotel) was originally, and unsurprisingly, the Hotel Pardue. Sometime between 1913 and 1915, William F. Green obtained the building and renamed the hotel “Windsor.” After Mr. Green passed away, his widow, Reba Green (later Reba Offinger), managed the business until the early 1920s.
Wesley W. Westmoreland was proprietor until the early to mid-1930s, when brothers James and Ralph Preas took over. Ralph was the last manager of the hotel, which was demolished in 1971.
The Hotel Windsor Records contain plans and pencil sketches for highway signs advertising the hotel between the 1930s and 1950s, with some planned for use as far away as Flag Pond, Tennessee (32 miles from Johnson City).
For those of you wondering where the Hotel Windsor was located in Johnson City, here is a map from the collection:
And before we wrap up, here is one really cool example of the hotel’s letterhead:
Want to know more about the Windsor Hotel Records and its contents? Check out the finding aid: http://archives.etsu.edu/repositories/2/resources/354!